»

Monday, April 27, 2009

Crespella The Creperie

Mmm Mmm Mmmm! There is a well kept secret of the crepe variety here in Cape Town. I walk by it several times per week, and had attempted to visit twice already without success, but recently was able to grab breakfast at Crespella. It is just a small café here in Obz, Crespella Creperie Observatory Cape Town South Africa Crepesand the whole place couldn't be more straightforward.

It is owned by an adorable old Bulgarian couple, and apparently they just have a passion for crepe-making. They serve a pretty varied selection of savory and sweet crepes (or rearry rearry fin pancakes, for those Talladega Nights fans). I counted over 30 different types on their menu.

The first one I got was the peanut butter, banana, and chocolate crepe. Delicious. Then I got the apple, cinnamon, and cream crepe. Delectable.

Peanut Butter, Banana, and Chocolate Crepe at Crespella Café Creperie in Observatory Obz, Cape Town, South Africa
Peanut Butter, Banana, and Dark Chocolate.

Apple, Cinnamon, and Cream Crepe at Crespella Café Creperie in Observatory Obz, Cape Town, South Africa
Apple, Cinnamon, and Cream.

I don't know, I just particularly like this place because it is so simple. It is literally just one room with two tables, and the couple makes your crepe right in the room for you, and stores their ingredients in the fridge behind the counter. The man even warned me not to get crepes somewhere else, because they make them, freeze them, and microwave them in the secret back room that Crespella does not have. I was amused, and it felt almost like my great-grandma Nygaard was cooking for me. I went back the other day and got the special Thai Chicken Curry Crepe. That one was scrumptious.

As far as the hours go, they'll close up at four or five, whenever works, but he said he'll stay until 7:00 if enough people want his crepes. The prices are cheap too, since I got both of my servings for about $5.50 with tip. I wish we had more places like this is Madison. As many of you know, I love food, so this place deserved a post.

Making crepes in Cape Town at the Crespella
Making my second helping.

9 comments:

  1. Either it is my inner fat girl talking or I'm really hungry, but I want peanut butter, banana, and dark chocolate crepes NOW......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, those look tasty! Matthew's mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nom nom nom! I want those. Especially the peanut butter, banana, dark chocolate one. It looks so much more delicious than the bowl of Life I am about to eat...

    I like that they only have two tables!

    ReplyDelete
  4. would you take me there one day o' sweet shaun? i love food too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. anything with the words cinnamon and cream in its description needs to be mine.

    i wish i could have one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to fix your dad crepes at midnight before you boys were born. swedish crepes with blueberry or cherry pie filling. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your presentation today Shaunski...I guess it has probably already taken place...but its the thought that counts right?!

    ReplyDelete