»

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Volunteering Project Continues...

SHAWCO Khayelitsha center, Masizikhulise STEP

I'm now a few weeks into my volunteering program with SHAWCO. Recently, we've worked on cover letters and resumés (which are called CVs here), as well as the intricate details of what to include on both, and the purposes they serve.

When I chose my program, I knew that it would probably be more difficult than the others, especially working with adults, and it certainly is. There are so many key differences from working with children. With kids, they love you and the barriers to engage aren't that great. You're the cool older person, so even if they're wild they want to learn about you and all that, and you'll find something in common to play or learn. Even more, the subject material is easier and you're just teaching them math or science, generally. Not to say that can't be difficult, or that handling a large group of children can't be overwhelming, but you have the option of playing games and things to engage them, as well as a set curriculum (that you understand) to work with.  It can be fun and rewarding, but I think I'd wonder how much I'd helped them.  I opted to work with adults, hoping to apply my skills to something a bit more practical.  Both have their unique rewards, I suppose.

School children at Khayelitsha SHAWCO CenterWith Masizikhulise, we're working with adults ages 18-35. Many of them have never had a formal job and never graduated high school, maybe have children and are married, or not. Worse yet is that they don't really think they have the skills to succeed or to the resources to get one. So... it is an uphill battle. I lead an exercise where we brainstormed things that we've been part of (groups, jobs, etc.), and then to think of the skills that you have from it, and how it can be applied to a job. Whew... that was way too much too fast. After silence, it descended into me explaining that even being in a relationship teaches you skills that can be applied to a job (patience, communication, problem solving, compromise). Then moved to explaining the benefits of playing soccer or being in church choir.

There's a language barrier for most of them since despite speaking English, it is limited. I'm struggling with understanding what experiences they do have, and ways to connect, but its difficult. They're so quiet! At one moment my students are understanding what I'm saying about a resumé and agreeing, and as we're moving down the list of things to include it slowly becomes clear that only one of the eight in front of me has an email address... or knows how they work. So I transitioned into a ten minute discussion on e-mail, which we really take for granted. "It is like paper mail... but on the computer and instantaneous." I never thought I would explain email after middle school.

Like, think about it. What do you do for an interview? You get dressed up and answer questions in a way that promotes your skills and your ability to assist the employer in what they need. It seems simple, but it's certainly not part of township life. Especially with the high unemployment rate. I don't even know if the curriculum the program is giving me will help. Resumés and cover letters, some of the material asks you to list dissertations or tertiary accomplishments. Seriously? We're in Khayelitsha. Further yet, only about 11% of the country has access to internet. That's the country. Ouch!

Beyond the barriers to communication and teacher/student dynamics, they're grown and looking for jobs. So it is hard not to focus on the stuff that they need to know, because we've got work to do. It's not as simple as mastering the concept and being done. And probably on a more selfish, mopey note, most of the students don't really care who we are, or so it seems. They just need help, which is understandable, but I'm in love with the context of things, and long for the connection.

I'm usually quite good at bridging these gaps, but I'm certainly being challenged here! After class, I like to find the children and play on their shoddy wooden jungle gym until the bus comes, to unwind. That's what these photos are, since I don't attempt to take pictures in class.

School children at Khayelitsha SHAWCO Center

5 comments:

  1. It's always harder to teach adults, their brains are more set in their ways and their neurons don't fire as fast ;).

    Also I hope the reason your professor's house was broken into wasn't because you stole her luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah right. April Fools! This whole post is a lie, I'm so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just by leading by example you are teaching them. Being patient, tolerant and having no judgments, and being understanding is teaching them so much. Showing interest in what they say even if its not much or your body language or being a good listener. Acceptance is key. All these attributes they see in you speak volumes. Keeping it real simple too.... Spent the night getting up every four hours with baby Preston Bryce. Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, so are their CVs the same as our CVs or are they what we call resumes just titled as CVs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, it is the same as a resume, that's just what they call it here. (I had to get used to it also!)

    ReplyDelete