»

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Creepin' on Obz

I was sorting though my 5,000-some photos that I've now accumulated since January, and came across a few neat ones from around my neighborhood. So, I decided to share!

The first is a panorama that I took in February, of Arnold Street, right outside my front gate. You can actually see our front wall and gate on the far right of the photo. The "I ♥ Obs" campaign is something that the Neighborhood Association initiated, so you see the logo on lots of business storefronts, car bumpers, and street poles. For me, it just sort of reflects the uniqueness of Observatory. This includes the varied stretch of bars, restaurants, and shops on Lower Main Road, the mix of races, ages, and nationalities that you find all over the area and interacting (including the international students), as well as the jokes that can be tossed around about how sketch it can be, crime and all (not so much a joke, actually). Whatever.  Despite these things, Obz is lekker.

Panorama of Arnold Street in Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa.  I Love Obs I Heart Obz
Outside my house, on Arnold Street.

The next two photos were taken in late April. Friends from Mozambique and I were waiting to leave for a dinner and wine tasting in Stellenbosch, and another great sunset set in as dusk arrived. I like to call these the "cotton candy" sunsets, because both the blues and the pinks look like cotton candy flavors. Or the cotton candy flavored popsicles.  So, the sunset was basically delicious.

Panorama of Lower Main Road Sunset in Observatory Obz, Cape Town, South Africa
Sunset on Lower Main Road.

Lower Main Road Sunset in Observatory Obz, Cape Town, South Africa
Another shot from down further.

Lastly, I really feel like you should see the creepiest piece of graffiti in the city. There is a lot of graffiti in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town (Obs and the other neighborhoods). Much of it is actually commissioned, and is put in community spaces like parks and building sides... it is quite neat.  It has different themes, some of it is old, some newer.  I don't know when this is from, or what the artist was thinking for that matter...

Creepy Graffiti in Observatory, Cape Town, on Florence Avenue
My creepy graffiti friend.

You'll also find criminals and other skellums (local word for shifty people) that write their names all over. Walls, street poles, sidewalks. It's called tagging, and I don't like it. Especially "Futsek", he's everywhere. I found this shifty, painted old man while walking to the dive shop one morning, as I was headed out to the ocean for the day. He was next to the train tracks, seemingly staring at people and trains that passed. Creep city...

8 comments:

  1. Your creepy graffiti friend reminds me of my creepy mural friend from parkside.

    Also, I enjoy tagging my name on everything always that way people remember how to spell it. I'm going to start tagging your desk as well as the inside and outside of your condo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the municipalities of the US have much say in ZA.

    Also, if anyone is wondering who Lyndsey's creepy little mural friend is, here is the photo I took in Jan '07, [link]

    ReplyDelete
  3. That creepy guy reminds me of Golem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the work "skellum." You should start using it in the States when you get back-I sure hope it will catch on!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i knew exactly what mural at parkside lyndsey was talking about. hahaha i have always been creeped out by him. that mural is so weird. there are a few other strange people on it, too.

    that graffiti is so creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you know that your blog comes up on google images (on the second page) when you search for "nyanga cape town"

    I thought that was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol. Some of the keywords people use to get to my site are funny. ( I can see them on my reporting).

    someone recently arrived by googling "why is the university of cape town so beautiful and special". Apparently I'm the top hit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats funny as hell just some creepy dude staring at everyone.

    ReplyDelete