»

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Farewell, South Africa

As you can imagine, the three days that I had remaining between my return to Cape Town and my ultimate South African departure turned out to be rather hectic. It was filled with recovering from my Joburg/Soweto/Mozambique trip, sorting through my bedroom, having a large amount of clothes cleaned and packed, seeing people that I really needed to see, and preparing for leave everything behind. This even included packing for another trip in Germany. As a result, I didn't have a chance to blog. I'm a bit sad about this, and still hope to share the highlights of my travels in a future post.

However, I'm getting behind! Yesterday, I woefully said goodbye to a number of great friends and packed my life into 2.5 suitcases. After sixteen hours of traveling, I arrived this morning in Germany. More on that later.

On a plane, leaving South Africa
Leaving, on a jet plane...

The purpose of this post, though, is to reflect on something that our group was told when we first arrived in Cape Town. I began tuning people out as speaker after speaker tried to talk about their part of UCT at orientation. However, a certain Deputy Vice-Chancellor caught my ear. Prof. Thandabantu Nhlapo, a very kind looking older man, stood at the podium and softly said, "Welcome, welcome, welcome to Cape Town. Let me first say that above all things, you students are very welcome here. You add to the diversity of our campus, and we appreciate you adding your perspective to our institution." Or something like that. He then went on, "South Africa is one of those countries that tends to get... under your skin. I hope your time with us is special, and that our beloved country touches you all in some way."

I've been thinking about that lately, because it certainly has. As I sit in my German coffee shop, quenching the thirst of intermittent, slow, and costly internet access over the last month, I'm struggling a bit to put this feeling into words, but the uniqueness of the country and my experiences consistently became more complex as the months went on. I'll perhaps write more about that later, but in the meantime... here's my final slideshow. It's a short video of my favorite photos, both in terms of scenery as well as capturing certain moments that I really savor.

Enjoy! And I'll see all you Wisconsinites real soon.

It's best to watch in full screen and HD.
Click here to watch in HD!

And as a reminder, here are my travel plans over the next week. I will be home on July 1st, one week from today.
shauns-return.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Shaun,

    Looking forward to your return! Just wanted to say how much I appreciated your blog. I read every post and it really felt like I was part of your trip. I am so glad you decided to do a blog and do it so well… I can’t wait to talk to you more about your experiences. I know that you had many posts but looking back, here are my own personal highlights:

    #1. The photography… damn you took some great pictures and I can’t wait to see them on your mac.

    #2. My overall favorite post was the summary of your first big diving trip where you touched the whale and saw a ray the size of the truck.

    #3. Your post on the Study Abroad experience… was just simply a well done and thought-out response to your experience and very personal as well. Simply brilliant

    #4. The whale beaching… Everyone will want to talk to you about a different part of your trip and for me this is it. I am really looking forward to talking to you more about it.

    #5. (tie) The FIRE and the Robbery attempt – those both were just f*#*#* crazy.


    Safe travels and we will see you soon!

    Mike C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might like to borrow the song that is in the background of your video. If you would be so kind. Enjoy Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the most amazing video I have ever seen. I want to cry right now it was so good - you are SO TALENTED. Your blogging and your pictures are such an inspiration. I'm jealous of how beautifully you captured your time here. You made the most of every single moment. I still have 6 more months here and I want to start experiencing Cape Town "Shaun" style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear the stories on the way back from the airport, brotha-man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike - thank you! Can't wait to get back into the swing of things and be a productive human again lol. See you soon!

    Brittany - I don't know about the best, but I really appreciate it. You should invite me to your blog now!

    Andrew - You've gotten the song. If anyone else wants it, just email me. I'll hook you up! I really like it.

    Jacob - See you tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "South Africa gives me a perspective of what’s real and what’s not real.So I go back to South Africa to both lose myself and gain awareness of myself.Every time I go back,it doesn’t take long for me to get caught into a very different thing.A very different sense of myself."~ Dave Matthews.


    @Carol Martinez.

    ReplyDelete