»

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

On "Africa" and Blogging

On Africa

The idea of Africa is perhaps far more powerful than the location or the geography. At least I think so. There is this psychology about being as far away as Africa is, or in as remote a place as Africa should be. There exists some strange exoticism about the continent, even when you're there.
Woman carrying load on her head in Massinga, MozambiqueIn Massinga, Mozambique.

Quotes such as these pop up:


"TIA: This is Africa."
"What do you expect, you're in Africa now."
I'm going to study abroad in Africa. -- "Are you going to come back alive?"

You quickly realize that Cape Town is actually quite European in nature. Many preconceptions are skewed if not incorrect, but you also find some things true. A search for the real Africa begins, I guess. In my project about blogging, we talked about the effect that student blogs can have on these perceptions, both positive and negative. In one sense, students probably contribute to the exotic nature of the country, as they travel and highlight the different, the crime, the corruption, and general lack of organization.

On the other hand, I'm of the opinion that most of what students write about "Africa" is fine. It will probably be better or at least challenging to what most people think. And the truth is, there is no one Africa. The continent is obviously immensely diverse, but beyond that... it is full of contradictions. South Africa is a constant dichotomy between luxury and squalor, the modern and traditional. Sure, its true that Africa has expensive cars, beautiful beaches, some great universities, some world class hospitals, TV channels, cinemas, etc. However, it is also true that people still live in huts in many places, there are still piss poor governments and poor countries with rich governments. There isn't a hospital in Mozambique that I would trust with my life, baboons can often be seen on the sides of rural roads, and you can still travel and see women walking with enormous cargo loads atop their heads, often with no hands to support them. Circumcision and other initiation rituals still take place among Xhosa men at around age 20, and many other elements of Traditional African Religion are alive and well, often mixed with Christianity or Islam.

I guess what I'm saying, then, is that one of the overarching themes of being abroad in Africa is simply Africa. Specifically South Africa, but that gets lost in the shuffle. As one black South African student remarked in one of my classes, "We are a colonized people. Our language, our movies, our music. Even Africa isn't African anymore." Looking back, I just wanted to share that, in as much as it may make sense. How about you, has reading this blog surprised you at all about Africa?

Johannesburg, South Africa Vodacom Building
How I will remember Johannesburg.

On This Blog

When I began this blog in January, I certainly didn't have a strong idea of what I was going for. I did, however, set a few ground rules for myself from the beginning. First, I would write for anyone that wanted to read. This meant explaining things that weren't immediately obvious, and generally avoiding inside jokes and lots of specific stories about people that readers didn't know.

More than anything though, my intention was to bring you along. Instead of just telling you what I've been doing, I wanted to capture the places, the stories, and the progression as I blogged. I've made maps, hoping not to assume that you knew where I was going, and also made a point to write often and in a way that reflected the changes that I felt happening for me.

In a way, keeping a blog is a lot like reporting the news. Tons of stuff happens everyday, you see things while walking to class, you have interactions with new people, you witness things in the city. Every so often there is a big event that requires a post, but generally... the most important stuff is hard to articulate. "Shifts" happen within as you stay longer in the country, make realizations about how things "really are", and perhaps get a better sense of where you are and the people you are around. I don't know, I hope I was able to capture some of that. It will be fun to reread my posts when I'm missing Africa.

Anyway, to these ends, I hope it made things more enjoyable to read. Lastly, I doubt anything profoundly exciting will happen in the states when I get back, like pilot whales beaching on the shores of Lake Mendota or hills completely going up in flames, but I may still blog about my adjustment back to the States.

Aukland in Africa

15 comments:

  1. Shaun,

    Safe travels, it has been an enjoyment following your writings, you have experienced what many dream of. Enjoy your time with Matt back in Madison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was beautiful, shaun. i'm so excited to see you tomorrow!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart. You did not experience Hospital Rural de Chicuque. Your idea of good health care would be different I believe.
    C/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your closing comments on Africa... safe trip home, I was surprised how quickly I got through customs in O'hare, so I hope you have similar luck. Come and visit Anneli and I and Sean and Jamie, etc... in 2010 if you can. And don't put too much pressure on jumping right back into being a great couple with your boyfriend again, or worry if it seems awkward at first, I think thats totally normal when you've been apart a while and getting to really know each other again can take time, but also be exciting. I'll miss you Shaunski... Keep me updated on all your future travels :) Miss you guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaun...you might read this comment...in AMERICA! I'm so excited to see you, go buy out chipotle and I hope traveling went well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reg & Vivs -- Thank you for being an articulate and accessible blogger to which we could turn as a passionate "color commentator" for the UCT/SA/Africa experience while Kara was overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Shaun. Thanks for chronicling your experiences so we could all follow along. Very entertaining, informational and thoughtful.

    It was great having you in Hamburg and getting to see you for a few days before the end of the summer. Enjoy your time with Matt and fams, and decompress a bit before going back to work.

    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EXCELLENT blog, Shaun. I feel like I've been to Africa myself! Thank you! Hope your re-entry to America is a smooth one and that you get back into the daily swing in due time. If you ever have a moment to read, try Bill Bryson's Neither Here Nor There - Travels in Europe. Hysterical and equally engaging as your blog. Guess I've turned into an armchair traveller! Anyway, much love and hugs from the West Coast. YGM

    ReplyDelete
  9. great blog shaun! it kept me interested. hope you have/ had a safe trip home. ( :

    -stephanie hazen

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who has never left the States, your blog was the closest I will probably ever be to Africa. Thank You for sharing the experience.
    -Eric Harris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shaun,

    Thank you for keeping this blog and bringing me with you to Cape Town. I recently decided to study abroad again and picked South Africa as my destination, largely in part becuase of your blog. Your stories and pictures were captivating and amazing.

    Good luck with readjusting now that you're back in Madison. Take it one day at a time and remind yourself that very little can compare with your time in Africa, so don't let yourself get disappointed or frustrated.

    Enjoy your summer, your friends and family and Matt. And keep blogging, you've kept me and my co-workers in the Study Abroad office in Bascom entertained all summer long.

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shaun I found your blog through a facebook wallpost on somebody else's wall and I have been extremely impressed with your narratives. You are a great writer and really do an awesome job explaining your experiences. I am headed to Uganda in August and hope to use my blog as a tool to raise awareness for some issues I feel really strongly about. I hope to take some tips from you-thanks!!

    Caitie Goddard

    ReplyDelete
  13. After everything you've learned and everything you've seen, I'm curious what you think about the future of SA. Will it get worse? Will it get better? Will it be a success story? Or, will it be like Zimbabwe?

    What needs to happen for things to get better? What changes in policy would likely improve things?

    Are you looking forward to visiting again?

    If you visit again, what would you like to do that you didn't do this time?

    Would you consider moving to SA?

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Shaun, I've only just stumbled across your blog now and sad to see that you aren't still in SA. You lived just a few roads down from me actually.

    I'm South African but have travelled extensively, I'm white and have a Welsh husband, completing an honours degree in media representation, partly about the representation of South Africa on international news broadcasts. So, as you can imagine, this blog is very interesting to me.

    One thing I'd like to say / ask, is about your mention of "Africa". Rarely do I hear "Africa" being mentioned as a continent and not connotative of a country. One would not say "I'm in Europe" and lump all of the countries into one there, as you would not say "I'm in the Americas", you'd distinguish (as you have done by saying you're "going to Germany"). So I guess I'm interested in why you keep refering to "Africa" as one place - there are (at last count) 53 countries in the continent, and all are vastly different. South Africa is more like a Westernised, colonised version of "Mythical Africa" and I'm interested in your opinion on this.

    Also, I don't know if you saw the graffiti on the side of the N2 coming into CT from the airport, but it says "This is part of third world beauty" (refering to the Langa / Gugulethu squatter camps) and I'd like to know your opinion on this? Would you say your experience of this poverty is "quaint", do you have a passing interest in it, is it real to you, do you feel upset by it? What is your opinion as an American, and do you only see this type of "Third world beauty" as singularly African / South African?

    In reference to another comment above, what about South Africa do you think needs to "get better"? What is "better" and from who's perspective? Why are there only two sides of the scale, a 'success story' or 'Zimbabwe'? What are your opinions on this?

    And finally, what was it that made you decide to come to South Africa and study at UCT in the first place? Why not at UNISA or Wits or UFS?

    I hope you find the time to help me with my questions, I genuinely am interested in your opinions as it is very rare (for me, at least) to find someone as elloquent and open minded as yourself, without having the chip on the Western shoulder about "just having to help the darned buggers" as I've come across before.

    If you want to email me, feel free on bernadine.rogers@gmail.com. I hope you had a good time in Europe and enjoy your time back in America, always thinking about us back here looking at the back end of Table Mountain and trekking up those stairs to lectures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back
    to your blog? My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and
    my users would truly benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this okay with you. Thanks a
    lot!

    Feel free to visit my website: Psn Code Generator

    ReplyDelete