»

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Day of Surfing at Muizenberg Beach

I went surfing today!

P2108238.JPG

I still don't start class until Friday, so we've been taking advantage of the time off by seeing and doing! We got up at 9am this morning, and headed off to the Observatory train station. I've not yet taken the train, but have heard stories. It is very cheap, and a good deal during the day... but you don't take it after night (unless carrying your glock). We bought our round trip tickets for a little over a $1 each, and hopped on about 20 minutes later.

It was about a half hour ride to Muizenberg beach, where we heard there is good surfing, as well as rentals at a nearby surf shop. There was lots of graffiti everywhere on the train and along the route. After getting all prepped, it was time for an obligatory pose photo...

P2108215.JPG
Okay, down to business. On the way into the water, I stepped on some shells, which I then cracked, and cut my foot. It was minor, but a bit unnerving to be entering the infamous shark infested South African waters with an open wound. I figured I was overreacting though, and ran in. The water was a bit chilly, but the wet suits quickly helped that. We stayed in for about two hours, which was how long we rented the boards. It turned out to be a great deal, the surf shop charges only $10.00 for the board and wet suit rental for two hours. Is that normal? I thought it was cheap.

P2108235.JPG

A word on wet suits and the African summer sun: I've been in our pool a lot this week. Like everyday, because it has been very hot. And since I have arrived, I've been wearing a lot of sunscreen. Like, 30-50 factor even to go toward campus. And I'm sick of wasting sun screen, because I'm sometimes not in the sun much! So, I didn't wear it the other day while in the pool for a few hours. I got quite red, particularly on my shoulders and neck. Scared of a beach with reflective sun, I put on a lot of sunscreen today to surf. Somehow I forgot that I'd be wearing a wet suit, but whatever. So, no, I didn't get burnt today for the most part. But the salt water washed off the sunscreen from my hands, and they got very red. And I look like I have red gloves that stop at my wrists. It is a bit irritating.

P2108221.JPG

Two hours of drinking salt water was enough, though, so we headed home. I noticed along the way how much security is out to combat crime in the city. It seems that not only the city government has people out, but it is also common to see (I think) neighborhood watch volunteers with green vests on patrolling with walkie talkies. There were about 14 train stops between the beach and Obz, and I saw a security person at every stop. And on the way there we had an armed Police Constable riding with us. Similar to the security system on the house, I am comforted to have them around, but not sure if I should be nervous by the need for so much patrol and enforcement.

In any case, surfing made for some nice photos. Here are the rest. I'm so glad I bought my waterproof camera a few years ago. It is pretty jacked now, but still takes great photos, and can handle the salt water well!

5 comments:

  1. Haha, that's awesome that you went surfing. I love that picture of all of you on your boards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw the title of this entry and was like "fuck him". im jealous. sounds like an amazing time. how were you at staying on the board?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The waves were actually not that good because of the wind, so they ended up being choppy and a bit messy. I did alright, not great though. I imagine it would be easier with better conditions though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct, that is very cheap for rentals. At least, it's more expensive here in CA. If you liked it, you should come visit me and surf with me. You can rent Jason's board and wetsuit for free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaun surfo! Thats your new nickname. beautiful pictures as always! Do you ever mess up on anything?!@$%%!!! I am so glad you are having the time of your life....Love you Shaunie Surf on dude...Wichita!!!!

    ReplyDelete