»

Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Video Slideshow Update

This has been a pretty packed week. As I mentioned, the first day of our orientation was a coach tour of the peninsula, different areas of Cape Town, the penguins on Boulder's Beach, as well as the famous Cape of Good Hope. The last few days have mainly consisted of lots of speakers... on many different topics. We've covered safety and crime in Cape Town and on campus, the libraries, technology, HIV/AIDS, information about registering for classes, as well as some general welcome addresses from UCT representatives.

DSC_0081.JPG


I thought it would be interesting to see how the campus addressed the HIV/AIDS issue, since by some estimates, 28% or so of South Africa's population is HIV positive. I haven't really encountered too much obvious educational campaigning in the city. That being said, they've got a pretty active group on campus that works on education, information, and testing.

DSC_0252.JPG


To finish the lectures off yesterday, we had two volunteering groups from the university speak to us. SHAWCO and Ubunye are both groups that work with youth in area high schools and townships... and I'd like to get involved with one of them, just not sure which yet. Afterward, we got on buses to visit a SHAWCO township site. Kara and I went to the Kensington site and saw a music school, as well as an elderly center, and a day care for parents that work during the day. The children woke up from their naps to sing Patty Cake, Patty Cake for us. It was probably the most adorable thing in the world.

DSC_0303.JPG


Anyhow, I've been giving some thought to the best way to present photos, etc here. I decided to make a photo slideshow with some of the highlights of this week. I took something like 400 photos since I got here (all on my new camera), but here's the abridged version.



Click here to watch in HD!


If you'd like to look through the photos more closely, or see the explanations of any of them (I've got captions), you can go to this album. Higher quality, and explained!

Welcome To Cape Town


I still haven't gotten used to the roads and opposite lanes, I look the wrong way a lot. And I keep jumping back and forth between a feeling a paradise and a feeling of third world country. There is such a divide between classes, race, and privilege. I'd like to explore that a bit, a maybe take a relevant class. I schedule tomorrow morning, so I should figure that out soon! Hope everyone is well! As they say in Cape Town... Life is Good!

DSC_0313.JPG

10 comments:

  1. Shaun, you're pictures are incredible, and those children are so adorable I can't hardly stand it. Also, I'm so jealous of your campus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken curry looked delicious. You should post more about the different foods, I'm very interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of want to go to there now that I have seen your slideshow. It looks absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to somehow get super rich and come visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and this is the link that I see when I look at your e-mail in Gmail: http://www.sagoodnews.co.za/?gclid=CKXMsZXSxpgCFQFVgwodhjDO0Q

    "South Africa-The Good News," a South African news website that focuses on the good stuff. We definitely don't have much of that here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool pics, and what a beautiful campus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i went straight on to firefox to check your blog this time.

    everything seems very exciting. I can imagine how much of your internet bandwidth you used up uploading a youtube video. But it looked very nice. Was it done with the new imovie?

    I can not get over the penguins.... i really didnt think they were found in that part of the world. I seriously cant get over it. If you didnt have pictures i would call you a lier

    ReplyDelete
  8. * i CANT imagine


    seriously.... how much did that cost you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures and that campus looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat-o Pics. Hope you dont get AIDS!

    Love,
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete