»

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wrapping Up A Mostly Relaxing Week

It's a bit weird for me. I think most people at UW are preparing for midterms, and I start classes tomorrow (Friday). Actually, scratch that, the first day of lectures is actually on Monday. But here at UCT classes "meet" tomorrow, on Friday. And someone said that by "meet", they mean that you follow your Tuesday schedule... but lectures haven't actually started. I don't really understand, but I'm just going with the flow. When in Rome...

DSC03760.JPG


And since classes haven't started, I've been a real bum. I've been spending time in the pool everyday. It is the only way to stay cool! I mean, what is it, summer in Africa here? I've even found a hobby. I like to clean the pool. We have a vacuum that attaches to the filter, and I really enjoy using it to dive and suck up leaves and dirt. It is therapeutic and productive. As a result, I've been crowned the Pool Doctor. I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that they don't use the term 'pool boy' here in South Africa because of the wildly negative historical connotations with the word 'boy'. Either way, I am now the pool doctor. And I do good work.

DSC_0305.JPG


In other news, I got my wallet back. And I'm now thoroughly convinced that I was pick-pocketed. I was down on Lower Main Street at a restaurant, and went up to the bar for a moment. My wallet was gone shortly thereafter, but luckily with no money in it. I was contacted by a woman about a mile away that said one of her employees found it. So yes, I got everything back, and no they didn't get any money, which is satisfying. My first experience with crime in South Africa? Probably, and luckily it wasn't very eventful.

Also, our landlord is having people come tomorrow to spray for cockroaches in the kitchen (pesticide doctors, if you will). I'm a bit worried about all the chemicals, so we've all moved our food and dishes into our bedrooms, but I suppose that is of little comfort. I am way sick and tired of seeing cockroaches, though. I don't even try to kill them anymore. I don't want to deal with it. They aren't nearly as cute or amusing as the movie Wall•E would have you think.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the sun tonight also. I spent another day at the beach surfing today, and got a bit burned. The problem is that no matter how much sun screen I put on, even waterproof, it washes away pretty quickly from the salt water. And my scalp is burned now, to which there is little that can be done. Surfing went way better today. The waves were better, my wet suit fit better, the board was nicer... things were just all around more legit. I got up for my longest time ever, and rode a wave for quite a while. Cowabunga!

I suppose that is it. This has been mostly a hodge podge update, but it is probably in order. I've been craving a Chiptole burrito a lot today. Also, I'm not sure what to expect for my first day at school tomorrow. For now, I leave you with this random South African fact: Instead of calling them traffic signals or stop-and-go lights, the things at intersections are called "robots" here. They even have ROBOT painted on the road as you approach them sometimes. I think Matt would like that.

And lastly, here is a long exposure photo that I took of our backyard tonight. It looks pretty lit up, but it is actually quite dark. And yes, that is the moon in the sky, as well as stars. I love our backyard! Good night, friends!

DSC_0348.JPG

9 comments:

  1. Lyndsey ate her entire burrito in honor of you-I hope you are proud of her, because we all are :)

    Your photos are, once again, wonderful. I cannot wait to see the 400+ others you must be storing on your computer.

    Good luck with school and make lots of friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that nighttime photo :)

    I'm mostly posting to say I ran into Eric at Panera Bread and concluded it's a small world, though there is not as much singing as in the ride.

    Good luck with classes tomorrow! Or, whatever "meeting" is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the backyard photo. Very cool. You could always wear a swimming cap while surfing! Like the Olympians wear while racing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. robots ftw


    i can eat chipotle whenever i like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos. I want you to come back and have Chipotle. I wish you the best with your cockroach troubles. And most of all, I cannot wait until you start class so Lucy can ask "How's school?" in that voice that only Lucy would use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt: It's not a Gollum picture! But it is me creeping in the pool, which as I mentioned, I've done a lot of lately. You better start practicing your Heely spins and tricks.

    Lucy: I'm not proud of Lyndsey for finishing her burrito. It means less for me.

    Erik: Please don't mention that terrifying song.

    Laurie: I think I would look very silly with a swimming cap. But it might help my mini-bald spot up top especially.

    Eric and Lyndsey: Hi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot of the backyard. And roaches are only cute and amusing when there's only one and it can sort of communicate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. kilroy, right?

    sorry i missed all of your phone calls shaun. i'm really sick today. head cold. i have that annoying tickle in my nose. and my eye is runny. just the one.

    roaches gross me out. and by moving your food into your bedroom you mean you are moving the cockroaches into your bedroom.

    come home soon kthnx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who knew you would pick up such a useful hobby in South Africa? Congrats on the clean pool! Miss you Shaun, I'm sure you would have loved the Statue of Liberty photo, thanks for checking it out!

    ReplyDelete