»

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Panoramic Photos!

So, yesterday we did an all day tour of the city, the Cape, and the Ocean's View township. I don't have time to post a lot of photos yet, but I did want to share something that I worked on last night. When I went on Western Field Studies, I was always frustrated by how the photos that you take on top of a lookout do no justice to what you're actually seeing.

Yesterday, I got to the top of the lighthouse lookout at Cape Point, and wondered if I could do a panorama. I took the necessary photos, and came home to do some research and make it happen. Well, I did. Here are some panoramas from yesterday.

First, this is the 360 degree view from the top of the old lighthouse at Cape Point. It was absolutely beautiful. If you click on it, you should get a bigger version in another window that you can scroll on. It consists of 9 different photos.

Cape Lighthouse

Next, this is the view from the actual Cape of Good Hope, or at least as I was a few hundred feet from the top. It is the southwestern most point of the African continent, and the view is also stunning. Another 9 photos.

Cape of Good Hope

Lastly, I already posted photos of my bedroom, but used it as a testing ground for the panorama work. Keep in mind that each of these are 360 degree photos... my room isn't actually this big. :-)

My Bedroom

Most of the photos are over 20 megapixel all stitched together, which is just mind boggling. Good news though, I'm starting to get back on a normal sleeping schedule, which I am pleased about. I'll try to get some photos of my adventures yesterday up... I saw the penguins on Boulder's Beach, and also saw baboons! I'm now off for a full day of orientations, but the less exciting type. Today will see speeches, a placement test, and other great things I'm sure.

Edit: The panoramics should be working now. Also, I realize that the lighthouse one could have been stitched a bit better... I was in a hurry the other night. Hopefully I'll go back at some point and reconstruct it. You get the idea though.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, Shaun you've done a lot of updating since I last read your blog! I'm glad things going well, and the penguins and baboons sound pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cool pictures. I just wish there was a way to view them larger - as matt said "broken links!"


    man... now i have to go into firefox to post this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try refreshing the photos, they are loading fine for me when I click on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shaun! Just wanted to let you know I'm keeping up on your blog. I'm so happy and excited for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy everything to the fullest. Everything here on my side is going well, trying to figure out stuff for Australia this summer. But your pictures look amazing and I can't believe you're actually there!!

    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos Shaun! It looks like are having/ going to have so much fun on this trip. When I heard you were going to Africa to study abroad I just thought,"That is such a Shaun thing to do." haha.. This is Stephanie Hazen by the way. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Shaun, the panoramic photos are really cool. Where did you see the baboons? E

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still can't believe the photos each time I look at them myself. I saw the baboons on the side of the road as we were driving to the Cape. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a picture. They are also up by the lighthouse lookout, and have warnings about them, but there weren't any around while I was up there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photos Shaun, they're beautiful. Baboons eh? I bet they are a lot better than howler monkeys, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shaun! SA looks so amazing; I am so incredibly jealous of you! I know it's only been a little bit, but I can hardly wait for you to get back so I can hear all of your stories and look at all of your pictures! I hope the weather isn't too terrible over there...I'm kind of worried that you won't be able to get along without a cold WI winter...

    p.s. I really want a snuggie--are they as wonderful as they seem?
    p.s.s. At retreat, I recall you mentioning that "Simply Apple" is THEE best apple juice in the world, so I had to try it. You're 100% correct. Thank you for introducing me to the nectar of the gods.

    WASB love!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. There were so many twins at that lighthouse!

    Beautiful photos. I'm getting semi-jealous (only semi).

    Also, you are lying. They don't have penguins in Africa. I know this to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Photos look amazing! Glad to see you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. shaun look how blue the water is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply Apple juice is the best and......its good for you too!

    ReplyDelete