»

Friday, March 20, 2009

Cape Town News

This is how the news outlets reach out to Cape Town, and I suppose partly how the city gets its news (or at least headlines):

Sex Tape: It's All Lies, Says Joost.  The Cape Times news headline on street pole in Cape Town on Main Road

I chose that headline, because a lot of the time they are very funny to me. Maybe it is the odd juxtaposition of a frivolous article with the in-your-face advertising techniques of the Cape Times and the Cape Argus, but they can be amusing.

Two of my favorites were "CORPSE FLOWN TO WRONG FUNERAL" (I laughed forever) and "RIHANNA: I WAS BEATEN" (not that the concept is funny, but it is so matter of fact). Of course, they have headlines about the upcoming election, party politics, and city news, too... but I focus on the amusing in the morning. They are very regular about putting them up though, at like 3am everyday, and on every other street pole (different headlines), all the way down both sides of Main Road.

Since I'm a news fiend, I get furious when I read about a big headline on the street pole before I notice it on Google News or some other online news source (it makes me feel like they've won). I was so upset when I read that Obama set a withdrawal date from Iraq on Main Road.

They were a bit late to the punch on this one, though. I left them in the dust:

Cape Town Fire: Dramatic Pictures from the Cape Times, Headline on Main Road

Today, Erik, Jana, and I are hoping to go back to Muizenberg Beach to surf. Hoping for good conditions! It has warmed up to the upper 70's today, and will again be in the lower 80's the next two days. I also hope it lasts!

8 comments:

  1. Haha. I love that that is how you get your news. Also, shouldn't it be: I was beaten? I don't think beated is a word, in which case the headline is funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Typo, that would be an even funnier headline. I was sorry that I didn't have my camera. Thanks, Ling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs T...Hi Shaun, Found an interesting website with links to pix of your area, way down at the bottom of page; pix on Table Mtn fire. Thought you'd find it interesting, of course nothing compared to Aukland photos! site is: http://www.2oceansvibe.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Ya, I saw those. Funny enough, a number of blogs took my photos and didn't credit me. I had to politely follow up on those one... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea, but did you hear about this y2k thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read the first news picture. And initially thought there was one less "o" in "Joost." Hahahaha. (sorry Lucy)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply want to say your article is as surprising.

    The clarity in your post is simply nice and i can assume you are an expert
    on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.

    Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.


    my page :: cheap polo ralph lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good article. I will be dealing with some of these issues as well.
    .

    My webpage ... cheap christian louboutin shoes

    ReplyDelete