»

Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm getting SCUBA Certified!

Over the last week and a half or so, I've been working toward getting my Open Water SCUBA certification, so I can dive here in Cape Town, and maybe some other places as I figure out travel plans throughout the semester.

I first read a 250 page book to prepare for my written test. I guess I didn't realize how much is involved with diving. Like, I knew that there were pressure differences, and issues that could arise with air expansion in your lungs, something called the bends, and lots of equipment strapped to you. Well I'm proud to say that I know all that stuff now.

1.JPG

I took my test, passed, which put me today in line for my confined water dives (in a pool). I wish we could have done them in my backyard (which is where they used to happen, not anymore) so we drove somewhere.

Gearing-up.JPG
Gearing up.

It is a very cool feeling to be underwater for an extended period of time while breathing without surfacing. I mean... it is an odd concept, that people somehow managed to invent enough safe equipment to put you underwater... rip roarin' to go at the bottom. (which is me below)

2.JPG
I'm happier than I look.
It is difficult to show emotion underwater with a regulator in your mouth.

We did tests from like 11am to 4pm, so we got a lot of pool time. You do tests like how to replace and clear your mask if comes off underwater, you're still able to breathe from the regulator (mouthpiece) for a minute, then replace the mask. Or if you lose your regulator and it becomes filled with water, you need to recover it from behind you and clear it of water. We also worked on out-of-air situations, breathing from the alternate regulator on a buddy's gear, removing and replacing a weight belt underwater (they're heavy), removing and replacing your tank and gear underwater, a controlled emergency swimming ascent in case of emergency, and also how to control your buoyancy with the inflatable vest that you're wearing. That was just some of it, but it was a ton of fun! I've heard of people saying that it was very weird at first, like you don't want to trust the air, but I didn't really have that happen. After all the reading I did, it felt very normal.

3.JPG
The pool we used.

Now that I finished all of those confined water tests, I will do four open water dives in the ocean over the next two weekends, and then I'll be officially certified. Other perks include that the certification lasts a lifetime, it's international, and I'll be cleared to go down to 60 ft. underwater, so I'm stoked. I also joined the Underwater Club at UCT, and they've got a full gear setup for cheap rentals, and they also organize local dives on most weekends. I hope to get involved there and stay busy.

4.JPG
My Obzside dive instructors.
From left: Sean (also my landlord), Richard, and John.

Thanks, all, for continuing to read my blog. I'm now a month into my stay, and I'm still loving this place. It was around 100 degrees today, so being in the pool all day was very refreshing. I'm trying to keep up with the blogging, hoping to share my experiences and stay in touch with you all. Miss you!

Note: No comment about how out of control my mustache is in the first photo. No comment.

6 comments:

  1. I bet I could show emotion underwater with a regulator in my mouth. just saying

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous. I wanted to scuba dive at UW but it was so expensive :(

    On a 100% unrelated note: http://printliberation.com/store.php?id=110

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right your mustache was OC in that picture. I hope your package arrives soon I'm tired of waiting for you to receive our gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SpongeShaun Squarepants-I am so jealous, surfing, penguins, African food, African music, puke parties, burglars right at your window to scream at, scuba diving, hiking up mountains, gorgeous sunsets, you are truly blessed. God really must love you! Enjoy every minute. Feel it and remember it Shaun. Beautiful blog, I have been bragging to everyone about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will never scuba dive because:

    A.) I have asthma and fear I would have an attack under water.

    B.) I would probably hunt for clownfish, pretending my name was P. Sherman.

    C.) Don't even get me started on Jaws. Don't get me started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your experiences during training.

    ReplyDelete