»

Monday, March 30, 2009

Umqombothi: "This is Our Amstel!"

Last week, I arranged for Erik, Jana, and I to visit Nyanga Township. I had gone there for a braai at the beginning of the semester and have since been volunteering somewhere else. A friend of mine, Andrew, works for our landlord and was kind enough to show us around a bit more. While I've already posted many of the pictures with my slideshow, I wanted to recount one of the more interesting moments of the day.

We had just gotten off the interstate, and were driving right into Nyanga. More specifically, I was driving into Nyanga, on my newfound right side of the car and left side of the road! I had Andrew on the phone, and was looking for him while entering an area I certainly didn't know my way around. I suddenly saw him, darted to the side of the road, and he got in.

We did introductions, and the day had begun. "Our first stop will be one of the hostels in the area," he said. We went a few blocks and stopped in front of what looked like a chicken coop (to my untrained eye?). We went in, and were met with about 15 mostly older men sitting around on benches talking. Feeling quite white and out of place, we began by just standing and looking around. They quickly offered their seats, which was really nice, and they insisted.

One man introduced himself as Bishop. With a laugh, he carefully made sure that I didn't think he was the Archbishop Desmond Tutu. I think I had that much figured. Anyway, a woman that had a thick sun cream of some sort all over her face was running the hostel, and had homemade beer for us to try.

Umqombothi Xhosa Beer in Nyanga Township
Here we go...

It is called Umqombothi. Be careful to pronounce the "q" as a tongue drop click. It is brewed from maize and sorghum, and while a little chunky from the ingredients, was actually sort of good. However, all three of us were really unnerved about drinking out of what looked like a used paint can with styrofoam on top, as it was passed around the circle. Actually, I think we were all a bit freaked out when we saw it. Jana really didn't want to, but smiled and participated. My favorite part was when someone shouted to us, "This is our Amstel!" Andrew also explained that it is used in Xhosa ceremonies, rituals, and if someone were to contact the ancestors.

Drinking Umqombothi Xhosa Beer in Cape Town
Down the hatch.

Drinking Umqombothi Xhosa Beer in Cape Town
Andrew demonstrates.

Drinking Umqombothi Xhosa Beer in Cape Town, Nyanga Township
Outside the hostel.

It was a good experience though. Also, there is a song that was made many years ago with the same name, since it is about the beer. Here is the YouTube video... it's hilarious, seriously. It will also help you learn to say Umqombothi.


Bonus: Here is the Wikipedia entry on how to make it, if you're interested. After reading, I didn't like seeing the bad health effects that may be associated with it.

4 comments:

  1. I had the same brew when I visited Langa township in Cape Town. "Chunky" is exactly the word I would use for it.

    Did you tour the townships>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. On the plus side, it does have Vitamin B. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've toured a few of them, and I'm volunteering in Khayelitsha, so that's been really neat.

    Let's make this at home, Ling. Not. Let's make malts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also did a township tour in Cape Town, Cape Town townships are the best townships in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete