»

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Devil's Peak Is Still Burning. And UCT Fails!

An update on the Devil's Peak Fire

We awoke this morning with the mountain still on fire. With much less wind, though, and no darkness to show the glow of fire... Devil's Peak looked more like a smokey fire pit than a majestic mountain. I again climbed onto the roof, and got a photo to share.

Devil's Peak Fire 17 18 March 2009, Cape Town, Table Mountain National Park Burns Panorama
From our Observatory roof this morning.

With light this morning, however, we heard the familiar hum of several helicopters circling around the mountain dropping water. I immediately checked for more news, and learned that one person has died, and a few others were injured, including some firefighters with minor injuries.  Very sad, though.  Contrary to reports, it seems no houses have been reported damaged, though? I'm still not entirely confident about that. Partly because the news articles I've read are shoddy at best, and basically state that the mountain is on fire, there are helicopters helping, when it started, and that people are fighting it. Yes... thank you traditional media.

From the UCT campus, I climbed to Rhodes Memorial, which is reportedly near the start of the fire. I'm surprised nobody stopped me, but I just followed the emergency vehicles and a trail (please don't worry, I stayed safe). But I approached the tactical command of sorts, and was able to get some photos from right on the mountain, as well as the helicopters that were taking water from the University of Cape Town reservoir. I will post the rest  of the photos at the bottom (in higher res with captions).

Fire truck on upper campus, Devil's Peak

Helicopter gets water from UCT reservoir dam, Table Mountain

Devil's Peak Trees Burn

Firefighters

Cape Town Fire Fighter

Cape Town Firefighter Resting

Dropping Water on the Mountain

The University of Cape Town Fails! No communication.

Also from this morning, UCT totally failed. I'm very unhappy with them. You'd think that they would issue some sort of communication to students regarding the events of last night, but no. We woke up, wondering if it was safe to go to campus, wondering how much smoke there would be now that the winds changed, and wondering if the helicopters would interfere with classes. I checked the UCT web site, I checked my course web site, I checked my email, I checked many different things... and nothing. Irritated, I began calling numbers to get some information, since Kara and Gabby had already not gone to their early morning classes because they were unsure. I ended up calling the Welcome Desk, Student Services, the Faculty of Humanities, my professor, the department office for my gender course, as well as the communications office. Many of the numbers yielded no response, but I did get through to someone at the information line, as well as my course's office.

"Yes, I'm wondering if there will be classes this morning?"
"Um... yes, I'm not sure why there would not be?"
"The huge fire that is still happening? Isn't it near Upper Campus?"
"I'm not sure, I'm on Middle Campus."
"And surely you represent the university, how could they not have a statement about what has happened?"
"You'll need to call your faculty department, son."

Dumbfounded, I made more calls. To more incredulous people, one of which noted, "Oh yes, there is a bit of smoke and the helicopters are overhead. I can't say about class though, you'll have to contact your professor."

I will first say this very clearly: UCT has an inadequate system for contacting and notifying students of important situations. The disorganization to me seems sort of dangerous, but then again, I was having a hard time finding people that shared the sentiments. So, we went, and once my professor arrived, she told the class that a few people called in today to ask if her class would be canceled because of the fire, and most of the class laughed. I was so many different types of pissed off. So many different types. Just incredulous.

So, for all of you people, my professor included, I'm going to present a list of reasons as to why one might think it possible for classes to be interrupted, or at least wonder enough to want an official correspondence from the university, or anything:

  1. Your campus is built into the side of a mountain that was completely in flames last night. The fire and smoke could be seen for miles, from anywhere in the city. Surely one must wonder.
  2. It was reported to have started just a few hundred feet from the UCT campus.
  3. This morning, it was literally a five minute walk from campus to the flames.
  4. There was a fire truck stationed on Upper Campus, next to a UCT building, supplying water at hose length to the front line. Yea.
  5. One student said to the professor in class that he was evacuated last night. When students at your university are evacuated, no matter if they live with you or not, you should probably care and respond in some way.
  6. There are now four helicopters flying near the campus, one of which belongs to the South African military, and they are drawing their water from the campus reservoir, and not flying very far to dump it.
  7. Said helicopters are very loud, and the professor and students put energy into speaking over the whirring of the helicopter blades in class.
  8. The mountain is still on fire.
  9. Two UCT residence halls in Observatory were in the path of the wind and smoke, with Clarinus across the highway from the flames. These students live with you, you're responsible for them.
  10. There is smoke directly up the mountain from Jameson Hall, with helicopters flying to drop water on it.
  11. Even news sites speculated about the fire danger to UCT's campus, including reporting how close the fire had gotten. Students might wonder about this...
  12. There's still tons of smoke to be seen from miles away.
  13. The professor that said this was 10 minutes late to class because she had to drive across town, partly through smoke, and even changed her shirt when she arrived because it smelled of smoke.  Unaffected?
  14. 20% of your students are international students, and may not inherently understand whatever it is I don't get about "Mountain on fire, go to class anyway to smell like smoke and talk over helicopters.  We're used to fire."
Maybe I'm missing something here, but this just doesn't seem like business as usual.  And it's not funny.

Despite these things:
  • No press release, not even a mention on the web site.
  • No email to students. (This should be easy.)
  • No answers at many of the numbers I called on campus.
  • The Humanities Faculty reception, especially, did not pick up.
  • Communications office didn't answer.
  • Information center acted dumb when I called, partly agreeing that one could be wondering, yet they had nothing to provide.
  • No contact from the professor or answer at their office.
  • AND the professor laughed at the idea of people calling the office to check if classes were still on. Then ended class with "Don't get burnt, don't get smoke inhalation."
So, we just went to class. And, again, I was so many different types of pissed off. Perhaps we overreact in the states about these things? But I don't think so. And 24 hours later, the mountain is still glowing a fiery red in the dark.  Devil's Peak, indeed.

And now for the rest of the photos:

17 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your so frustrated. :-/ Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day, and since you said you feel like the weather is moving towards the rainy season, perhaps that will come and stop the fire for good and get rid of some of that smoke smell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... ridiculous. i'd be so pissed! it's not that hard to send out a bulk email to students letting them know the campus was okay and that classes weren't canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [Reg] You are a poster boy for righteous indignation, a mantle I wore for many years. Keep up the great work, but don't pull a "Reg." (ask Kara)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting pictures. Its so neat all of us at home get to see the emergency vehicles and all the scenes and goings on, good and bad. Maybe they all live by Hakuna Matada. (no worries, for the rest of your days). I'm glad your okay and it was so special to talk on conference to you, Erik and Jana today. Mike is okay. love you,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs T said . . . kinda makes American's appreciate the hard working fire fighters we have and the news coverage (even if we some time's feel it's over saturated) = Knowledge is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photos... you should be a freelance newspaper photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is extremely frustrating! Makes you wonder what they cancel class for or even notify students about, ugh. Your photos are fabulous, Shaun, even though the situation is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should say also that those firefighters must be exhausted. There have been over 200, a number of which are volunteers, switching shifts and working tirelessly since it started. They are doing an awesome job! It lends to the common idea that 'it will be taken care of.'

    It certainly is true, though, that when things like this happen, we (at least myself) begin consuming lots of media.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, a notice on the website shouldn't have been too difficult and is the least one would expect. OTOH these fires are very frequent in the summer and not at all uncommon. The thought process for those aware of this (anyone who has lived there for a significant length of time) would probably be that if there was a serious problem they would be made aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, wow. Thanks for the updates. And, it could be worse...your Snuggie could be on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it horrible of me that I wish the Snuggie WAS on fire? I'm surprised it isn't already on fire with the amount of static it generates... ;)

    I'm sorry to hear of the frustrations you are going through-Is this something that happens often enough that the University doesn't really seemed phased by it? I suppose it helps us value how much concern the States to have regarding disasters like this... We may be seen as overly Capitalistic, but there is also an appreciation for safety mixed in there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Risk to your life is relative. Compared to the risk of being mugged, murdered or raped on any given day, a little fire is no big deal. Plus, they don't have the economic resources to adequately deal with frivolous things like public safety.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even if these fires are common, a little e-mail would only take a second, if only for international students. Sorry about all of that chaos Shaun! I hope you are still enjoying your time there! Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let no bad happen to my Snuggie! Jeez Lucy. I will not let it start on fire.

    And after speaking with some South Africans about it, yes, fires are fairly common, but they don't typically get this big. One girl said that she doesn't remember one being this large since she was very young... so it matters. And its not to say that UCT doesn't have the resources or the concern to contact students, I've received emails from the Vice-Chancellor about talks that he wants to hold, and issues he wants to address.

    Just because it is Africa doesn't mean it isn't a great university. They just seem to really have dropped the ball to me. Like when, upon receiving my email, a rep from my Faculty said she was sorry, but actually didn't know about the fire until she saw the smoke on the mountain while driving to school in the morning, stuck in traffic. That's not good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yo Shaun

    What I find odd about your story is that you complain that UCT is not concerned about your safety, yet you venture into the fire zone yourself to take photos, wondering why no one stops you. Erm, surely the Person Numero Uno responsible for your own safety is you? How important was it to take those pics? Who would be to blame if you'd gotten caught in a dangerous fire situation? The university for not stopping you? Or you for thinking, hey, this looks dangerous, but no one is stopping me so I might as well...

    I mean, fair comment that if UCT were more organised, some sort of warning might've gone up sooner. Yes to that.

    But then again, I find myself wondering which were the numbers you called. I know a few international students. Their exchanges were organised by the International Office, and when any issue arises - with their course, their living arrangements, any communications from home or from their home campus - the International Office is the first port of call. As far as I understand, you should have an emergency contact card from that office with the personal mobile number of the director of that office. Did you use it?

    It's easy to complain. But you're a big boy. And you're in Africa now. Are you sure you shouldn't be paying more attention to what you're doing?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yo Anonymous,

    I contacted IAPO and didn't receive a response, and contacted several other numbers as I described. I've just received a formal apology from the IAPO office for not having responded, as well as from the Dean of Humanities. They acknowledged that no communication was sent to students, and that things weren't very organized on the day this happened, and would be following up with the appropriate people to make changes. I am aware of the proper means of complaint, not just to bitch, but to make positive change for other students.

    You'll notice that my photos of the fire are taken with a 200mm zoom lens, as the fire was quite far from where I was. I ventured not into the fire, but the staging area where the vehicles were stationed to get photos of their operations and the fire from afar, higher up. I did not feel in danger at all.

    And if the communication with students wasn't a huge priority to UCT, they would not have posted on their website, in response to my emails as a UCT official stated, "UCT pays special attention to communicating with staff and students in the event of threatening or actual emergencies." Surely someone needs to be calling foul on that one. http://uct.ac.za/mondaypaper/archives/?id=7379

    My being in Africa isn't an excuse for credible institutions that collect thousands of dollars of tuition to skirt their responsibility of keeping students informed and safe. Thanks for your concern, though.

    ReplyDelete