»

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Care Packages!

I didn't think that in the year 2009, I would be far enough away that a package would take over three weeks to arrive, but it did. I've been anxiously awaiting gifts for quite a while now, and I was starting to worry that they'd never arrive.

1-shaun-carepackage.JPGFirst, I had absolutely no idea that Rachael was sending me anything. When it arrived last week, I though that my package from Lyndsey, Lucy, and Matt had come in good time (nope). It was such a great surprise, Rach! And the gifts... simply Steller!

I cheated and looked at the customs form before opening it. "Four food items", I was skeptical. What I found, though, I could not even prepare myself for. Rachael sent:

  1. Corned Beef Hash. omg, I've been missing this so much. I just want Hormel in the morning.  I'm afraid to make it, because I'll go back to not having any.
  2. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. They essentially have no American candy here, except Mentos and Skittles. I love Reese's so much. They were a bit melted, but I put them in the freezer to pop when it gets hot. My Flying Dutchman roommate, Mick, and our friend Siya, who is South African, both had their very first peanut butter cup. They loved 'em.
  3. 2-beef-stroganoff.JPGHamburger Helper. Okay, even though it was generic brand, they don't have it here, and if you know me, you know I love beef stroganoff. She also sent Cheeseburger kind. Woah.
Rachael, I should say that I ate the Stroganoff the next day last week, when I was so sick. It probably wasn't all that healthy, but it made me feel immensely better, having the familiarity.

Okay, and today, finally, the package from Lyndsey, Lucy, and Matt arrived. The contents were awesome.

3-shaun-carepackage.JPG
  1. A stuffed animal, er, insect. They sent me a (handmade?) stuffed cockroach, which actually had a very neat story attached to it.  Its name is Tia, because when it got here it yelled "This is Africa!"  Hopefully now I'll be able to reconcile some of the hatred that I've developed toward the roaches in the house. (By the way, I haven't seen many in while, thankfully).
  2. Hemp necklace and anklet. Thank you Lyndsey for remaking it. The lengths were perfect, and Kara helped me put them on.  I've got them on in the above picture.  We used the extra hemp strings and made bracelets for everyone in the house, for Arnold Street love.  Everyone has one now.
  3. The Office episodes.  Three of the more recent episodes that I missed. Dope.
  4. Other neat artifacts. Letters, music, inside jokes.
Anyway, just wanted to thank you guys very much! I leave you with a photo of my Dutch roommate, Goldmember, delving into his first peanut butter cup EVER!  He first remarked that there was something dry in the middle (peanut butter).  The joys of trying new things.

Mick eats his first Reese's Peanut Butter Cup

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad it finally arrived :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pun of "it was Steller" in reference to Rachael's care package-You're clever and that is why we are friends.

    And yes, Tia was handmade, by these very hands! **Me wiggling fingers in the air** Glad you enjoyed your things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... Now I want Peanut Butter Cups. I'm officially on Spring Break and am making it my goal to comment on every post of yours that I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Mrs. T said)Shaun you look fantastic! Your spirits must be back to normal - it sure shows on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the picture of your roomate eating a peanut butter cup, because its obvious from the picture he has never eaten one before.

    but then again, theres no wrong way to eat a rease's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember when I almost told you about Mo? Well, there you go. Tia and Mo. I can't remember if Lucy gave them genders or not...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'd have to agree with eric it looks funny

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww this was great. i read it with my dad. he liked the reese's picture, too.

    also, eric put an "a" in reese's and i think that's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, love the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy, your handiwork is jost incredible. And yea, the letter said Tia is a girl, Andrew. Lucy is so heteronormative. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear... My bad, guys, my bad!

    ReplyDelete