»

Friday, March 6, 2009

Scenes of Stellenbosch Wine Vineyards

Wow! It's been a pretty long, terrible week filled with stresses and homework. I haven't been able to blog about something great that I did last week, so I wanted to talk about it and show pictures before I get behind.

Last week Friday, I took part in a tour of a few wine farms here in the Western Cape. South Africa is famous for its different wines, and you can't really stay here without checking out one of the major wine areas. We went to Stellenbosch. It is a nearby city, but also an area that consists of 136 completely separate wine estates. So, yes, there were lots of options.

Stellenbosch-Wine-1.JPG

We got picked up on Friday by a freelance tour guide that Brittany had been working with. We ended up visiting five different estates: Hoopenburg, Kanonkop, Tokara, Thelema, and Bilton. Each had very different feels to them, different sizes, etc. I should say that I've never been a fan of wine. I went more for the experience and the sights than anything else. Beyond this, though, I reinforced the fact that I prefer white wine to red, and I'll get Malaria before I drink a Shiraz again (which may actually be likely). In fact, I think my favorite part of Friday was eating wine grapes, which are so delicious.

Stellenbosch-Wine-4.JPG

Stellenbosch-Wine-2.JPG

After tasting over 15 different wines at 4 farms on Friday, and not really being wild about any of them (but enjoying a few), I was pretty much done with it. I also found that I much preferred the smaller farms, like the first one, Hoopenburg. It had one young winemaker, and we got a tour from the marketing director. They had a fairly small operation, but it was intimate, unique, and the focus was actually on being excited about wine instead of being pompous or rich, and talking about how 'this wine is named after our colonial great-grandfather'. But ya, Hoopenburg was great.

Stellenbosch-Wine-3.JPG

That was in contrast to Kanonkop, a much older estate, where I wanted to hit the woman upside the head with her own Cabernet Sauvignon. As she spoke condescendingly toward me, I imagined her hair flying to the side as she shouted "Ohhh no! I've been smashed in my rich, arrogant head with my own wine bottle! Whatever will I do?" I would smile and walk out, leaving her to pick up the pieces of her sick pepper cheese and rude tone. Despite her, the other two were quite nice and fun to see. At a few places we were able to enter the cellars and see all the barrels. Dope.

Stellenbosch-Wine-5.jpg

On Friday night we went back to Stellenbosch, the actual city at the center of all this. It struck me as very much like Door County in Wisconsin. Very chill, quiet, and had lots of tourist shops. It is comprised, it seemed, of mostly white Afrikaans speaking peeps, because the people walking around were a bit homogeneous and many of the municipal signs and business markers were first in Afrikaans, then in English occasionally. We stayed at a backpacker's hostel, which wasn't the best, but it was nice. We had our own room, and it was not very far from everything. You also can't beat $9 per person for a night.

In the morning, we had breakfast and headed to one last wine estate, Bilton. We did a wine and chocolate tasting at this point, and I actually really enjoyed it. I was wowed by their Sauvignon Blanc, so I bought two bottles (only like $4-5 per bottle when direct from the farm). I carried on drinking other people's wine at the table, and was having a great time until the owner or some old man landed two helicopters on the front lawn. It was blowing all types of stuff into the restaurant, and I began feeling irritated and disconnected from the real Cape Town. It must be nice to own a wine estate.

Anyway, here are the rest of the photos from the day. Only about 20 of my favorites, nothing too extensive. You'll even come across a photo of the helicopter man. And if you're in the mood to really get a sense of some of the views, the farms, and even a fancy schmancy lobby, see below for some panoramas.



Panoramas:
Hoppenberg Wine Farm Lobby Panorama
Hoopenburg Lobby (loved this place)

Kanonkop Wine Farm Panorama
A view of the Kanonkop Grape Vineyards

Kanonkop Wine Cellar Panorama
Lots of wine barrels! These things are expensive, and usually imported.

Tokara Wine Farm View Panorama
Tokara Vineyards. The most beautiful place, olive trees on top.

Tomorrow I will be doing my first actual SCUBA dive in the ocean, and I'm stoked. Perhaps more exciting, even, is that I begin volunteering in Khayelitsha township this week. I will be blogging about it when I can. It's been great getting messages from you all!

10 comments:

  1. Stellenbosch is one of the last bastions of Afrikanerdom. I read recently that the university has only just started offering both English and Afrikaans tuition to undergrads. Incidentally, UCT and Stellenbosch are historic rivals and if you are able to watch a game of rugby between the two it is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to do this! Pictures are beautiful, as usual. Also, I'm excited to hear about your volunteer experiences. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite picture of the slide show was the one where you look very accomplished in front of all those empty wine glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didnt feel like reading, so I made amanda read this to me. just so you know, im still keeping up

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you're saying going to the 'apfel'orchard in WI was way better? I smiled when I saw the picture with you and the grapes...it reminded me of you getting charged for eating a few. "Are you going to pay for those?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny enough, Kailey, our tour guide (who knew an obscene amount about everything wine and grape) had never heard of a concord grape. I was saddened and shocked.

    I forgot to say that my night at the backpacker's was the best night of sleep I've gotten since arriving in January. Despite having 5 other people in the room, the mattress was great and I slept like a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks like fun! I love wine and am sooo jealous of you, again. You should bring some of that cheap wine home for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pic of you with grapes. Beautiful pics of everything, as usual. March 9th, my three years Shaun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have wine in Africa??? I wish I liked wine. It always sounds so sophisticated. (Unless you are a wino, in which case I can give you an excellent brochure for a rehab facility. The facility isn't very good, but the brochure is excellent. Its foil embossed.) Also, I'm pretty sure you all have lice from the $9 a night hostel. By the way, was there free HBO?

    ReplyDelete