»

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Trying to beat the heat

The last few days have been scorchers! The temperature has been above 90ºF every day, if not at 100º. I keep finding myself very sweaty from just walking around Obz or campus, which isn't very pleasant. It is actually nice to have all the sun most of the day, but getting to sleep at night has been difficult.  It is now March, so the temperature should start to get more moderate soon.

With the arrival of the weekend, we got a lot of pool time. We've found ourselves getting more creative, and put lawn furniture in the pool to have underwater parties. I was hoping for my scuba gear.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Kara was having a bit of difficulty with her underwater comfort level, as you can see. I also mentioned that I would be going diving on Saturday. We went to Long Beach at Simonstown. It was a gorgeous day, warm, and the water was perfect. I didn't realize at first, but the beach is near the naval base, so you can see ships docked that belong to South Africa's navy. Here are some photos of the bay and my very heavy dive gear after the first dive.

Long Beach in Simonstown, Cape Town
Long Beach, the dive site.

4.JPG

We actually did two dives, which went great. I did some skills tests, and also just some swimming around at about 15 feet depth. We found some smaller kelp forests and a small boat wreck that sunk. Nothing amazing, though.

And yes, I did bring back the mustache. It wasn't for any particular reason, but I suppose I could offer some options.  You decide:
  1. For a change of pace this week. 
  2. To look more intimidating the next time the burglar comes back.
  3. Lyndsey said my mustache was outta control in my last scuba photo.  Had to fix that.
  4. Kara encouraged it.
  5. I wanted to scare all the other UCT students, that have surely never seen as American of a mustache as mine.
  6. To continue to rub it in everyones faces (especially Kyle, David, and Eric) that my mustache is far superior.
  7. I'm entering a lekker sleaze contest soon.
Actually, they are all true except number seven.  In other news, Daylight Savings Time has begun in the US. The time doesn't change here, but I really like that it has changed at home. Instead of being eight hours apart it is now just seven, and oddly enough, that matters. There is something very psychological about the time difference that makes me feel so much further away.  The limited 'awake overlap' is frustrating at times.  Even an hour less has me feeling closer to home. It means that Wisconsin will be starting their days earlier in the afternoon for me, I'm not sure why I care, I just don't like wanting to call and having to wait until like 6pm so as not to bother someone too early in the morning.

Lastly, I have gotten sick. I'm not sure what it is from, maybe once the temperature dropped after the heat wave left, but I've got some head cold and was up all night with a very sore throat and the such. I need Advil, I don't like the "Compral" that they sell here. I'd rather take acetaminophen than this 'paracetamol' mixed with aspirin and caffeine. I don't even know what paracetamol is.

14 comments:

  1. Haha, nice 'stache Shaun. Definitely far superior to any other.

    I'm glad we're closer in time now, and hope that you feel better soon. I know this tidbit will help: It is snowing like mad right now and the Club House is 84 degrees. No joke.

    I also hope the package we sent you gets there sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That burglar will not dare try and rob you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just make sure you don't get too close to the navel base when you're diving. You might be mistaken for a spy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shaun,
    I can not stress this enough. the handle bar mustache is NOT COOL. it is funny, yes. It was great to see at the mustache pool party. But you are in south africa, not at a mustache pool party. All though your pool party at the bottom of the pool looks like fun, it was not of the mustache variety. Mustache for no reason is not cool.

    ps. call me sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was gonna post a comment about the whole world riding they're bike with no handlebars except for you but... the sad truth is, your handlebars mustache makes puppies and kittens sad, and it makes babies cry.

    P.S. You kind of resemble a ventriloquist puppet with the mustache.
    Also my Mom took Justin and I to the Titanic exhibit in milwaukee and they give you these boarding passes with a name on it, and I was a 60 year old hotelier from Cape Town South africa. Apparently I was straight, and I died. Upside is, my wife and daughter lived, figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shaun! I've been trying to keep up with your blog, I love the pictures and updates! It looks like an amazing trip so far, I hope you are having fun! WASB love!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew: No burglars yet! I just look out the window and they walk away.

    Rach: I was actually thinking about that. I wanted to dive somewhere, and stay at the bottom all the way to the navy ship. I wonder how they'd respond...

    And tell me how you really feel, Zach and Eric. You're just hatin. Shake them haterz off. And I love the titanic so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shaun,
    love the mustache, I would call it a chu-manchu,
    seems like I've seen that on someone else before with the last name Aukland. He lives on Hwy 20. It also reminds me of the mustache you had when you were 10! I hope you are feeling better. If you want, you can call me and I will sing Momma loves her little boy, Shaunie song. Miss you son
    Feel better, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you check out herbal remedies, chinese or homeopathic?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm on the phone with you right now.

    that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Save it for the bashio! We're not having one until you get back...if I can wait that long

    ReplyDelete
  12. The handlebar is back, everybody. Stop hattin'. Are you sure you are studying abroad? Looks a lot like an extended vacation to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. dude whats with the stache?

    i like the pic of you under water sittin in the chairs. thats a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I be checkin out your blog. i just be to busy to leave a comment. your livin it up. i see how your livin. i love you bro wish i was there.


    heres a pic of prestin to. cant wait to meet you uncle shaun.
    [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/259xrpg.jpg[/IMG]

    ReplyDelete